Monday, December 30, 2013

Vegetable Crustless Quiche

Because of the holidays and busy grocery stores, we are left with not much food in the house.  But I had bought a bunch of eggs for baking and just to have around.

I found a recipe that had mainly what I had around the house.  My veggies were mainly frozen.

First I started with a 14.5 oz can of chicken broth and softened chopped potatoes, along with some minced garlic and minced onion in my big skillet.  Once they were mostly softened and most of the broth had cooked away, I added 1 cup of frozen red pepper, 1 cup of frozen chopped spinach, and 1 cup of  frozen chopped broccoli.  I also had a 4 oz can of mushrooms which I added at the end.  As they thawed, I worked on the egg part.

I used 9 eggs, beated until fluffy and added 1/2 cup of half and half (we are out of milk), a 15 oz container of low fat ricotta (recipe calls for cottage cheese), 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp of baking soda, 1/2 cup flour, a 1/4 cup of dried parsley, and 1.5 cups of a blend of shredded low fat Cheddar cheese and Colby Jack cheese.

A 3 quart container was lightly sprayed with cooking spray and then first the vegetables went in followed by the egg mixture.  I mixed it gently in the dish, then topped with the remaining 1.5 cups of shredded cheese.

Baked at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, then 35 minutes at 350 degrees, then I added quite bit more time because it was still runny in the middle. I think for this quantity, a bigger, shalower baking dish would have worked better.  Being in the 3 quart dish, it was very thick.

It doesn't taste very eggy, which is good because I don't really like eggs much.






No comments:

Post a Comment