Sunday, December 23, 2012

Holiday & Birthday Table Runner

2012 has been a big year for birthdays!  I, along with most of my high school class, have turned 40 this year.  A friend I've known since elementary school was celebrating her 40th today along with husband and it's close to her son's birthday too!  I hadn't realized that they all have birthdays around Christmas and Hanukkah.  Their family celebrates both holidays as well.  

I thought it would be fun to whip up a table runner with symbols of Christmas, Hanukkah and birthdays.  It went together pretty quickly in terms of cutting out the shapes and the idea.  Because I started this project the morning before the afternoon party, I did not complete it.  

The unfinished project went along to the party with me and I explained that I just need to finish it up and would get it to her soon.  All the images were ironed on and I had the border done, I still needed to add batting and a backing.  Details on the shapes and free motion quilting were still to be done also.

It was nice to bring the project back home and have extra time to work on it.  I wasn't certain what details I wanted to add to the table runner, but when I found myself alone in my sewing room, I knew I could tackle swirls again.  They certainly take some time and I haven't yet figured out a way to have comfortable posture and be able to see at the same time.  A quilting only machine has been on my mind for a couple months and I am coming to see the benefits of owning one.

No comments:

Post a Comment