Friday, September 14, 2012

Oktoberfest Bound

My son is in 7th grade and started a language this year.  I was excited that he chose German as I studied German for many years and even hold a couple degrees in German.
Toddler Dirndl

Jumper Before
For extra credit, he can attend the Oktoberfest happening this weekend and next.  As I was trying to find out more about the event, I saw many pictures of participants from past years.  There were some young children in Dirndls and Lederhosen.  I thought a small girl here might like a Dirndl too.

I wanted this to be a quick project, so I started with a jumper we already had.  While looking at my ribbon selection, I didn't see exactly what I wanted.  Starting with a strip of felt, I tried out my different decorative stitches.  This would make up the sides of the ribbons which would crisscross.

Dancing Girl
After looking at my stash for a floral print, I was happy to find this green floral.  It was leftover from kitchen valences from long ago.  The leftover piece was the perfect size.  I sewed it together and gathered the top edge.

First I added the decorated felt and ribbon, then I cut the jumper.  The gathered skirt went on quickly and finally I sewed a hem at the bottom.



No comments:

Post a Comment