Sunday, September 16, 2012

Pancakes for Breakfast

My older daughter isn't a fan of your average breakfast fare.  In fact her favorite thing for breakfast is leftover dinner.  We have been encouraging her to try new, easy things that are sure to be available, especially for school days.

She does however love pancakes and I have been known to make some ahead and freeze them, but I hadn't in a while.

It's a napping child that probably inspires me the most, or perhaps it's the quiet that comes with a napping child.

Anyway, I was happy to use my new mixer again and try out a new recipe for pancakes.

I used a basic recipe from the cookbook entitled, Whole Foods for the Whole Family, and then made some modifications.  I often add mashed bananas to my pancakes, but we were all out.  But we did have a bunch of mini Chobani Honey-nana Greek yogurts which have a nice banana flavor.

2 cups of yogurt and milk mixture - 2, 3.5oz  
  Chobani Honey-nana (banana flavored) Greek
  yogurt and skim milk together to make up 2 cups
2 eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp of baking soda
1/2 tsp of salt
1 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose unbleached white flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg


I used my whisk attachment and my lovely new mixer.  It certainly makes baking easier.  They cooked up quickly and I placed them on a cooling rack.  They will be frozen layered in wax paper for a quick, easy breakfast.  It's a fairly nutritious breakfast as well as my daughter prefers applesauce as her dipping sauce.  These are actually so tastey that I sampled one mostly cool without anything extra and it was great!  Between the sweet yogurt and the added sugar, they are sweet.  I probably could leave out the sugar entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment