Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Wonky Pink Ribbon Quilt

The blocks for this quilt I made about six months ago.  Some time afterwards I added the white sashing and borders. A month or so ago I bought material for the backing and bamboo and organic cotton batting. But it wasn't until this weekend that I could put it all together.

The quilt was measuring about 48" and the back would need to be pieced. I decided to add a long strip to each side to make up the 48" plus extra for quilting. It went together quicker than I anticipated. The sandwiching went well too. I placed the top, batting, and backing all together on the floor and pinned the layers together.

I wasn't sure how I wanted to quilt it. I could follow the lines, make geometric designs or just do free motion quilting all over. I hadn't yet attempted to do free motion quilting on an entire quilt this size. It seemed to be going well and it was nice to be able to squiggle from one block to the next.

Close up of FMQ and backing shown on lower left corner
My sewing machine did have some issues. I kept breaking needles and my bobbins weren't winding all the way. Finally I looked up ways to fix my winding issues and found an answer! Then I decided I'd clean my bobbin case and try to be extra careful with my movements. I guess all those things did the trick. I finished my squiggles with less interruptions and am happy with the finished product.

Finally I added a binding by machine and then hand stitched the back side down. I wasn't sure if I should use more white or the backing fabric. I ended up with the brown and pink backing fabric and think the was a good choice.

The fabrics used in the quilt were leftover from my baby carrier pack I made about two years ago.  After shooting these pictures, we went right to nap time, snuggling together under our new quilt.

2 comments:

  1. Too cute! Half of the things you talk about are "in a different language" to me, but it sounds so crafty! I can't even sew on a button!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! And I will gladly teach you how to sew a button. :)

      Delete