Monday, September 8, 2014

Cup and Bag for Preschool

For my daughter's preschool, she needs to bring a cup for snack each day. I think that is a great idea instead of using paper cups. When my older daughter went to preschool, cups were provided and washed. But bringing every time works too. Because they will bring home dirty or at the very least wet cups, a bag needs to be provided too.

One option, of course, is to use one of the cups we already own and use a plastic bag. But then we'd have no fun project. So I sought out a new cup that might even be fun. No such luck. Due to my plastic aversion, there aren't too many cup options. We already own stainless steel tumblers, but when I saw a stainless steel mini mug with double wall construction, I decided that would be a better option for us.  And after carrying bin after after bin of fabric when relocating my fabric stash, I knew I wanted to use up some of the PUL from diaper making days.

The little bag was super easy. I had a 7" zipper on hand and the PUL. I utilized a small bit of cotton at the ends of the zipper. 

For the mug, I read a bit about using paint or permenant marker on stainless steel. I wasn't sure what might stick. Finally I saw nail polish mentioned and thought that was worth a try. I wanted to write her name fancy, but my painting skills are not the same caliber as my sewing skills. After some test runs, I settled on a flower and added sparkle nail polish as the final coat. I did write her name on the bottom with more nail polish.  I hope it all washes well!

No comments:

Post a Comment