Thursday, January 9, 2014

White Chicken Chili

Ground Turkey Chili was part of our regular rotation until the family seemed to tire of it.  I looked around for a white chili recipe.  After considering different recipes, I tried this one by Cooking Classy with minor modifications.

Beginning with a whole routisserie chicken pre-cooked from Wegmans saved some cooking time, but did take some time to prepare.  The whole chicken yielded almost 4 cups of chicken.

Into the pot went a bit of olive oil and minced onion and garlic flakes, then a whole 32 oz box of chicken broth, the chopped chicken, and green chilies.  The only spices I used were cumin, oregano, paprika, and black pepper.  After a bit I added the room temperature Neufchatel cheese sliced.  It did melt in nicely and gave the soup a creamy texture.  Per the recipe, I did mash up about a cup from the 2 cans of rinsed Cannellini beans with a potato masher.  Pre-heated frozen corn was also added.  Once ready to serve, we added shredded Mexican blend cheese.

While the chili was simmering, I started on the cornbread muffins.  I had tried some variations with the Jiffy mix, but tried a new mix, Wegmans Gluten Free Honey Cornbread Mix.  It has no added oils in the mix and also has fewer ingredients.  The instructions are to add one egg, 1/3 cup of oil and 3/4 cup of milk.  I added 1 egg, 2/3 cup of plain Greek yogurt, some skim milk to make up a mixture of yogurt and milk totaling about 1 cup.  I'm guessing it was about 1/2 cup of milk.  The mixture seemed dry until I added a can of creamed corn, then it seemed perfect.  Because of the additional ingredients, it yielded a bit more than the 12 muffins the box states.  I got 12 muffins and 16 mini muffins.  They baked 18 minutes for the regular size and 13 minutes for the minis at 400 degrees.  Everyone loved the muffins.  They came out moist and tasty.

The chili was enjoyed by everyone who tried it. It isn't spicy, but the green chilies do stand out.

1/17/2014 - Tried smashing more of the beans and added more corn ~2 cups.  I liked this version better.

No comments:

Post a Comment