Thursday, November 14, 2013

Dresden Plates and Mug Rugs

A unicycle quilt has been getting new consideration lately. My first thought was that all those curves would be unpleasant, but my second thought was remembering some spoke like quilts I've seen. After checking in with some of my quilting friends, they reminded me that the wheel quilt is called a color wheel or a Dresden Plate. I actually found examples that were quite spoke like.

I hadn't ever made a Dresden plate quilt.  One example I saw used multiple fabrics in each plate. The spoke like wheel utilized striped fabric. I tried out altering the white star print's position and quickly realized it wasn't really working. I added a couple curved accents, but still not great. 





Another try yielded a more wheel like pattern. I kept the white accents in the same position and added a green solid for contrast. And added a second mini wheel.  Some Dresden plate quilts add the wheels and embroider them on.  I traced the curve, added a 1/4" seam allowance and was able to piece the backing onto the wheel. 


I still had mug rugs on the brain the next day after my Modern Quilt Guild meeting. We will be exchanging mug rugs at our December meeting. They do not need a holiday theme. I started considering leftover pieces from my sewing themed messenger bag. There wasn't much fabric left so I went with a log cabin pattern and added stripes on the side. I also made a pieced binding and quilted with wavy lines. After completing the mug rug, I wasn't sure I wanted to give it up, so I started another with a cool print. There was a tiny bit of the sewing themed print that I added to the back of the new mug rug. For interest I added a single strip of brown in the binding. Quilting again was done with wavy lines avoiding most of the words in the print.
Mug Rug
Mug Rug back




No comments:

Post a Comment