Monday, February 18, 2013

Making Cornbread Mix Go Further

I was invited to make a soup, chili or something to go with it for a pot luck event. Not having a great soup recipe, I considered side items. Having two boxes of Jiffy Cornbread mix in the pantry seemed like a good idea to make. Each box only yields 6-8 muffins. That didn't seem like a proper offering. I looked around at variations for the mix and also additions and found some good recipes. One I followed loosely.

Cornbread Muffins
I saw some recipes adding corn. The recipe I liked called for creamed corn and I didn't have any. I did have frozen corn. After perusing creamed corn recipes, I liked this one.

I ended up making a half recipe of creamed corn with 8 ounces of frozen corn. Using 3/4 cup of milk instead of a full cup would have probably been perfect. As I made it, I ended up draining off some of the liquid.

My recipe ended up like this:
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
6oz plain Greek yogurt
2 boxes of Jiffy mix 8.5oz

Creamed corn: 1/2 bag 16 oz frozen corn cooked, 1.5 TB butter, 1.5TB flour, 1 cup milk, 1.5 Tb sugar, pepper (drained some liquid off)
1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese


This yielded 11 regular sized muffins and 24 mini muffins. The muffins were very moist and got nice reviews from my kids. I liked them better than the plain mix because they texture was less gritty.

No comments:

Post a Comment