Monday, November 30, 2009

Nutcracker Gifts for my Little Performer

The summer before Sydney was in Kindergarten I remembered a friend telling me about her daughter's experience performing in the Nutcracker. I did a quick search and found that auditions would be the next month! Great timing!

She tried out and got a part as a Page. It is a very small part where a group of children march onto the stage with their horns, raise their horns as if to play, and then march off stage. Because all of the pages are between five and seven years old, this part of the ballet is especially cute.

I was at JoAnns for some reason and saw all the shiny metal ornaments. They seemed to be all musical instruments. Kyle was a saxophonist now, so I looked around for a saxophone. No saxophone, but I found a horn that looked identical to the ones the kids used in the ballet! I was certainly going to get one for Sydney and then thought about getting some for the other kids.


The horn was the same shape, but it was missing something. The horn the kids used had red cording around it. I looked around for red cording and had a plan. I hot glued the cording on the horn and it looked great!

Because the Nutcracker experience seemed so significant for my daughter I thought about what else I could do for her to help her remember. I was able to take backstage pictures and also saved the letter of acceptance and the program. With these items and some Christmas themed stickers I made a little photo album for her.

But one more idea was in my head. I wanted to make a little doll Page, just like Sydney's costume. We already had doll clothes pins and fabric wasn't a problem. A little glue, a little cutting, and we had a little Page.

No comments:

Post a Comment