Saturday, May 18, 2013

Chocolate Granola

Chocolate Lover's Granola
We ended up trying some Bear Naked Heavenly Chocolate Granola because we earned a coupon from Stoneyfield Yogurt. It is quite tasty!  My son and husband enjoyed it with milk. I mixed it in with black cherry Greek yogurt and it has become my new favorite lunch!  After going through the free package quickly and purchasing a second. I wondered if I could make something similar.

There are many granola recipes out there. It's really a basic concept. Because I wanted to make something like the Heavenly Chocolate Granola, I started with similar ingredients.  After checking out a few recipes, I figured I was ready to try to make some. My first attempt wasn't perfect. I kept baking the granola waiting for it to get crunchy and it never did. Also I had baked the chocolate chips and they tasted a bit burned. 

Try number two was destined to be better and it is better. So much better it's worth writing down and blogging about.  I intended to just use unsweetened cocoa, but ran out. I used about 3TB plus 1 oz of melted unsweetened chocolate.  Using some unsweetened chocolate does add a bit more fat, but the taste shouldn't be much different. (5/24/13) I have made this with just cocoa too and it's all good.

Chocolate Granola Recipe
Mix together
3 cups oats
1/2 cup Rice Krispies
1/2 cup ground flax seeds
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa

In a saucepan melt and mix
1/3 cup coconut oil (can decrease to 1/4 cup*)
1/3 cup honey (can decrease to 1/4 cup)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar (can decrease to 2 TBSP)
A touch of vanilla

Add melted ingredients to oat mixture and combine.






Spread out on pan. I have a Pampered Chef baking stone which worked well. Many people recommend using a silicone sheet or parchment. 

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes giving a stir after 15 minutes. 
Remove from oven and add 1/2 chocolate chips, chips will melt as they are stirred in. Flatten down the baked granola and allow to cool and harden. Small bunches will form from the melted chocolate and also with the cooling. Once cool, store in an airtight container. 
*Decreased fats and sugars still tastes great!  Yields 6.5 cups, serving size 1/4 cup.  Nutritional Info for lower fat and lower sugar recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment