Thursday, May 30, 2013

Breakfast Cookies

On a whim I made chocolate chips cookies one night.  The short version is that the boy ate all the home baked goodies we had and the sisters had none, even after he was asked to leave some for the girls.  So we made chocolate chip cookies and because the double chocolate chips were still gooey at bedtime I left them out.  I figured that the boy would likely snag one in the morning.  He doesn't normally leave time for breakfast, but I wondered if a breakfast cookie sitting on the table might be a nice breakfast for him.
banana, coconut oil, chocolate chips, healthy
I searched around for breakfast cookie recipes.  Many have very few ingredients and seem to be more like a blob of oatmeal.  I wanted something a bit more cookie like with some flour, an egg, maybe a touch of oil and sweetness.

I found one recipe I liked, but did make my own adaptations.  I think the result is tasty and moist.  Many recipes had some almonds or almond flour in them and that seemed like a good idea for protein.  The almond flavor is certainly present along with the banana and chocolate chips.

Somehow I lived my whole life without using a cookie scoop until now.  I actually thought I wouldn't need one.  My perspective has changed completely.  Using the scoop saves time, allows you to scoop and drop the cookie and keep your hands completely clean.  It is a very good idea.

Breakfast Cookie Ingredients:
1/2 cup chopped dates
1 ripe banana
1 large egg
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 1/2 TBSP agave nectar
1 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup ground flax seeds
1/2 cup raw almonds (blend into flour/meal)
1 cup oats
1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt

1/4 cup mini chocolate chips

Directions:
Blend raw almonds into almond meal/flour.  Remove from blender.  Blend chopped dates a bit, then add banana and blend some more.

In a large bowl, mix date and banana mixture with egg, melted coconut oil, agave nectar and vanilla.

Breakfast Cookie Batter
Add dry ingredients:  whole wheat flour, ground flax seeds, almond flour, oats, shredded coconut, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.

When well incorporated, fold in mini chocolate chips.

Drop by teaspoonfuls onto lined baking sheets, flattening down a bit with a fork.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes until just golden on the edges.  Yields 36 cookies.



Breakfast cookie balls
Breakfast cookies flatted with a fork
.

No comments:

Post a Comment